The current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic forced thousands of people worldwide into a home office arrangement. When for some it can be an awesome way to get some alone time and finally get things done without distractions, others need to juggle work, family, kids’ homework and desperately trying to get toilet paper with no success (at least in Berlin). Don’t get us wrong, working from home every now and again can be great and is a luxury that our companies often afford us. But does it work long term?
We decided to get a sneak peek into how our vene team is coping with the lockdown, tips and tricks on staying productive and sane(!) and what they’re looking forward to when life comes back to normal again.
Jürgen, Head of Product, vene dash
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? Same as usual – my day won’t start without a hot coffee and a bit of exercise or stretching (some people call it yoga).
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? Well, working usually keeps me quite occupied. In the evening talking to friends and family as well as cooking, which has never been done this frequently in our kitchen (!), is what keeps me going.
- What is your biggest challenge during the lockdown? Not being able to meet family/friends and, of course, going climbing outdoors.
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? Making a short plan for the day and catching up with all the team frequently to align activities and goals.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? That is an easy one – go on a climbing trip and have a barbeque outside in the sun with friends.
Sumit, Customer Success Manager, vene dash
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? I keep the same morning routine as before. The only difference is, I use the commute time to read about the current affairs and check what is happening around the world.
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? I have made two new best friends during this time – YouTube and Netflix. I think I have watched so much content on YouTube over the last few weeks that by the time this quarantine is over I might be first person to finish watching all the content on YouTube, LOL. When I need some fresh air and the urge to see the outside world, I just go out for a drive.
- What is your biggest challenge during the lockdown? No big challenges so far. Minor inconveniences? Yes. But apart from that I feel we in Germany are still in a privileged position where we are not under a total lockdown like some other countries.
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? Staying productive is easy when you are focused on the job at hand. I set myself daily targets with a deadline for each task. This helps me to keep track of the tasks I need to complete. If I find myself weary during any part of the day, I quickly do 15 pushups and I am active again.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? Times like these have made me realize the importance of little things in life. I am looking forward to grabbing a drink with all my friends, spend an afternoon relaxing in a park and continue my quest to discover new restaurants every weekend.
Sven, Head of Customer Success Manager, vene overwatch
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? I get up at the same time as on usual workdays, but instead of taking the train to the office I go for a walk in the forest which is nearby. After I return home, I’m checking my calendar and all my to-dos and plan my day. Most of the days I also go for a walk during lunch break.
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? I try to reach out to one colleague per day to chat about non work-related topics, just to replace the small talk in the office hallway or kitchen.
- What is your biggest challenge during the lockdown? How to spend free time when you cannot visit friends & family. Also, it is harder to draw the line between work and private life because both is actually done at the same place now.
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? As mentioned, first thing in the morning is that I’m planning my day with all meetings, calls and tasks that need to be done. Furthermore, I try to stay as close to colleagues as possible via MS Teams, Rocket Chat etc. to be able to still discuss topics on the short way. I ventilate the rooms frequently to keep the air fresh and I’m trying to get up from the chair from time to time just to not get rusty.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? Finally meeting other people in person again.
Olena, Product Marketing, vene dash
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? Absolutely. My husband and I need to manage work with taking care of two little boys (2.5 and 5 y.o) as the kindergarten is closed. It would be impossible without a routine! I usually get up shortly before 6AM, do half an hour of sports (either just some yoga or a 20-30 min workout), make myself some coffee and start working at around 7AM. My husband then takes care of the kids till about 10 AM and we alternate. We continue like this all day till about 6.30PM – 7PM. Then it’s family time for all of us!
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? There’s no need to with such small kids – they’re an entertainment by itself, LOL! To make sure none of us goes insane, we go to the neighboring woods or river to look for beaver traces, to pick up sticks and stones, climb on trees, etc. every day. Our local ice cream shop is still open as well and offers ice cream to go – we treat ourselves a few times a week.
- What is your biggest challenge during the lockdown? Combining work, kids and household chores all within 24h.
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? The only way to stay productive is to start early and be concentrated in the hours when it’s my turn to work. I guess the fact that I need to take 1-2 h breaks to be with the kids keeps me sane and productive.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? Kids finally going to the kindergarten!!!
Roland, Head of Product, vene overwatch
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? Yes, a very detailed schedule especially for the kids, including washing, brushing teeth, cleaning up rooms (10 Items scheduled over the day). For myself have the same routine as working in the office.
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? A lot of garden work in the evening and weekend, seeing friends sequentially, or in the garden with a 2m of space between us.
- What is the biggest challenge during the lockdown? One-on-one talks! Just going over to someone and clarifying things 1-on-1. Also, written communication needs care so people don’t get you wrong.
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? Same process as before, no change, but 20% more work.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? Seeing friends in groups, have an even bigger summer party at our home.
Quim, Sales Manager, vene dash
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? I get up at 7AM every day, do 15 min of Zumba on YouTube, take a shower, have breakfast and starting at 8 AM hunt clients for vene dash.
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? All day long while I work with electronic music and in the evening when I have dinner, I listen to news and relax with Netflix.
- What is your biggest challenge during the lockdown? The biggest challenge is to have a routine and the most important thing is to have the discipline to keep it.
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? I try to follow that routine and make the same schedule as at the office.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? I hope I can go back to the office soon and be together with other people again.
Matthew, Junior Technical Product Manager, vene overwatch
- Do you have a morning or daily routine during quarantine/lockdown? Yes, I wake up every morning and have coffee and toast, take a shower and dress up like I am going to work, then try to work with no distractions for the rest of the morning.
- How are you keeping yourself entertained? Every evening I am watching a new foreign film, last night I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire, a French movie set in the 18th century and it was really beautiful.
- What is your biggest challenge during the lockdown? Not hearing the sounds of other people. I really miss the little things like the hum of conversation, the sound of German on a phone call, or hearing a group of people laugh at a joke!
- How are you staying productive whilst working from home? Dressing up each day and trying to act like it is a typical work day is helping to keep me productive.
- What are you looking forward to when the lockdown is over? I’m looking forward to sitting in a crowded park with a beer under the sun 😊
This quarantine forced us to see life in a different light, appreciate the little things and adapt to a new way of working and living. No matter what each individual situation is, we believe this lockdown made us more agile and stronger as a team! We all are looking forward to normality and to be able to see each other in person again. In the meantime, we wish you a safe and sane lockdown!
Your vene team
vene is a customer-centric ad-tech marketing tool, built in Berlin by industry experts. vene mission is to enable digital advertisers to strengthen and secure their businesses in an uncomplicated, secure and profitable way.
Learn more at https://www.vene.io/
Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org